Do you know that Providence College has its own website that can be used to easily publish papers or articles online? If you haven't already seen our Digital Commons, check out the link below. It's filled with student and faculty papers, online journals, and scanned items from our Special and Archival Collections department.
The Cowl Online Archive
We've been working on a great new project! We're digitizing past issues of Providence College's student newspaper, The Cowl. Issues are viewable online, and the text is fully searchable. As of Fall 2009, you can view the paper's inaugural year, 1935-36, as well as complete volumes from the 1960's and 1970's. Work on this project will continue until all past issues are processed.
The sample issue above is the very first Cowl, published November 16, 1935. To see other issues, visit our Cowl Online Archive pages. To download individual issues as PDF files, go to PC's Digital Commons document repository.
What's a "Digital Services Lab"?
Phillips Memorial Library has lots more stuff to use than just books, magazines and Windows computers. We have also have a whole room of Macintosh computers, as well as other gadgets you can use to scan and digitize items for your projects or papers.
Here's what's currently available:
- 8 iMac computers running OSX 10.5 (Leopard), most with 24" screens. All of these computers have Microsoft Office 2008, Adobe Creative Suite Version 3 (including Flash, Dreamweaver, Illustrator and InDesign), in addition to iMovie, iPhoto, and all the other Apple iLife programs.
- 5 Epson flatbed scanners for scanning letter sized originals, slides, or 35 mm film negatives
- 2 HP document-feed scanners feeder scanners for rapidly scanning unbound letter-sized originals
- 2 Microtek flatbed scanners with 12" x 17" scanning area for digitizing large items.
- An ATIZ BookDrive "cradle scanner" for scanning books, newspapers, or fragile items.
Whether you're a total novice or an expert, we'll be glad to help you scan and process items. Stop by the Library, Room 111, or email us at email@example.com!
Julie Kliever -
Library Commons Librarian for Research, Education and Collections
Phillips Memorial Library
401 865 2241
Digital Services Lab hours:
Sunday 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Monday 9:30 AM - 10:00 PM
Tuesday 9:30 AM - 10:00 PM
Wednesday 9:30 AM - 10:00 PM
Thursday 9 30 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM