Getting started with EBL
Want to dive right in to EBL? It's easy, no instructions needed. Simply click the link below and enter your PC username and password:
Want to learn more about EBL features? Then read below!
WHAT IS EBL?
EBL - Ebook Library is a library of more than 400,000 ebook titles that can be either read online using a web browser or downloaded to a PC, Mac, laptop, e-reader device (however only Kindle Fire in the Kindle family), tablet, Android device, iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
HOW DO I LOG IN?
- Go to http://www.providence.eblib.com/patron/
- Log in using your PC network/Sakai username and password
If you have problems logging in, contact us in any of the following ways:
PHONE: 401 865 1993401 865 1993
TEXT: 401 484 7004
HOW DO I SEARCH FOR E-BOOKS?
After you log in, you will see the initial search screen, pictured below. At the top of the screen is a search box.
Underneath the search box are 4 selections:
* Quick Search: works much like any web search by cross-searching data across the EBL catalog to retrieve and rank the most relevant results.
* Category Browse: displays a complete list of ebooks available within a particular subject category.
* Full Text Search: searches the entire contents of all ebooks to retrieve and rank the most relevant results.
* Advanced Search: allows for more complex searching by limiting to, or excluding, multiple search criteria.
Reading EBL ebooks via a web browser
When you find a book that interests you, click on the title.
You can then:
- Browse the Table of Contents (no time limit for this)
- Start reading the book by clicking "read online".
- Return to your search list via your browser's BACK button.
After 5 minutes of viewing a book, you will be prompted to create a loan. Click on "Yes" if you want to continue reading or browsing.
Once you create the loan, you can continue to access it directly for 24 hours. You can log back into EBL from any computer's web browser, and the book will appear on your bookshelf list upon login. After 24 hours, you will simply be prompted to create another loan.
Downloading EBL ebooks to iPhone, iPad or Android phone
In addition to reading books in a web browser, you can also download ebooks from EBL to any mobile device that runs either the Andriod or iOS operating systems (for example, iPad, iPhone, Droid mobile phone).
BEFORE YOU REQUEST A DOWNLOAD, you need to set up the 2 applications listed below:
- Download Bluefire Reader (free app) from the Apple or Android store.
- Create a free Adobe Account on the Adobe website.
Once this is done, open the web browser on your moible device and go to the EBL website
Login using your regular PC network ID and password, and browse for books (see instructions above, under "Getting Started with EBL" and "Reading EBL via a web broswer").
When you find the book you want, click the DOWNLOAD button.
You will be asked to select your loan length, either 7 or 14 days.
You will also be asked to choose your download type, either PDF or ePub. We recommend that you choose ePub if it is available; the formatting is better.
EBL Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. When I download an e-book, how long is the loan period?
A. You will be prompted to download a e-book for either 1 or 7 days.
- Q. What happens when the loan period expires?
A. Your e-book will show as "expired" (the message or icon will be different, depending on what device you're using). However, you can always go back to the EBL site and download the book for another 7 or 14 days.
- Q. During my loan period, can I read my e-book online as well as download it?
A. Yes! You can read and/or download the e-book as many times as you want, to as many different devices as you want, during the loan period. However, the loan will expire on all devices at the same time, no matter where or when it was separately downloaded.
- Q. What happens to bookmarks or notes I create if the loan expires?
A. Your bookmarks and notes are linked to your login, and will remain when your loan expires and you have to re-borrow your e-book.